Pages

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Banana Bread

Don't think I've actually ever blogged here about cooking any food except mentioning once my St Lucia's buns and making my own elder flower cordial ages ago. But in addition to crafting, my hobbies also include collecting cook books and trying out a new recipe every so often. Perhaps it's time to share it now. Like most women, I love baking. This is such a lovely feminine activity women get involved into so enthusiastically. I may not be the best cook in the world, still with a lot to learn but when I'm in my "baking mood" I love to enter my little kitchen, get my books out and try out a new recipe. I just enjoy experimenting and gathering cooking experience. 
So, not long ago, I got myself this book:



This is a lovely book with hundreds of recipes and gorgeous mouth-watering photographs of cakes. I felt an instant urge to bake something from this book. I chose a Banana Bread as my first recipe - simple, dead easy and very tasty. I always believe simple recipes are the best recipes :)


It turned out it's going to be one of my favourite bakes :) The loaf has got a lovely banana smell, moisture and softness. There's a delicate, very faint coconut milk flavour in the background too (depending how much you add)


It's just simple yummy food - a slice with some butter and a cup of coffee in the morning or for afternoon tea - perfect!


The recipe doesn't use any sugar - the loaf has got its natural sweetness coming from bananas but the 2nd time I had baked it, I added about 80 gr of light muscovado sugar (bf preferred a sweeter version) and it just seemed to hit the spot. 


If you fancy a yummy bread like this, here is what you have to do:

Take:
115 gr of butter + some butter for greasing
1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
225 gr wholemeal (whole wheat) flour
2 eggs beaten
3 very ripe bananas
2-3 tbsp coconut milk
(* light muscovado sugar, about 80 gr, if you prefer a slightly sweeter version)

Preheat the over to 180 degr C (gas mark 4) Grease and line a 900 gr loaf tin (any standard size loaf tin will do) with baking parchment.
In a large bowl cream the butter until it's fluffy.
Sift bicarbonate of soda with the flour, then add to the butter, alternating with eggs.
Peel the bananas and slice them onto to a plate. Mash them well using a fork then stir them into the cake mixture.
Mix in the coco nut milk and stir together.
Spoon the batter into the tin and smooth the top level.
Bake for 1 and 1/4 hrs or until golden and firm to the touch.
Cool on a wire rack. Remove the lining paper.

Simple, isn't it? :)
Enjoy your banana bread. x x x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martha,
    oh, what a nice recipe for a banana cake! I always made the one from Delia Smith , but I will try this one too!
    Have a happy day,
    big hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martha,
    that sounds like a good recepie, I think I will give it a try.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Love, leave a comment :)
Thank you for your time x x x