Pages

Monday 12 March 2012

Julekuler - 55 Nordic Knitted Balls - "Snow Crystal" 1/55, "Frost" 2/55 and "Snowflakes" 3/55

Hi everybody. Haven't been here for a while and wondered if the world has already forgotten about me :) As usual I've been busy crafting. Time to show what I have created recently :)

Last year, sometime in late autumn, pursuing my thriving interest in Scandinavan craft I bought this book "55 Christmas Balls to knit" by Arne & Carlos and I fell instantly in love with those Nordic woolly balls. There was a problem though - I couldn't knit and what's more - I hated knitting! I'd always thought it was boring and for grannies and pensioners. I used to shudder at the sight of my mum knitting socks for us and manoeuvring 5 needles at the same time. "How come she doesn't get confused making those stitches and rounds?" - would run through my head on and on.


Well, you see, it's all about an attitude..... I've changed my mind now. I've grown up. I feel ready now to take up knitting, well, at least some basic knitting for the time being :) Determined to make those gorgeous woolly balls for myself I collected all I needed - the right size needles, crochet hooks, wool and wadding. And when I flew back home for Christmas I even borrowed my mum's set of 5 double pointed kneedles and revised my VERY BASIC knitting knowledge with my mum and nan. Now, hands on knitting needles and time to start!

First I made a model ball using a single colour and needles of a bigger size.


Ta dah! New experience, new skill. Knitting is fun!
Pleased with myself I moved on to making the proper Nordic ball using two colours...
A bit of playing with wool, messing around, starting over and over again and finally...

 

Something had started to show up! Then I knitted my first Nordic ball! On cloud 9! I can do it! Woohoo!

("Snow Crystal" 1/55)

Another ball followed. Again, a bit of fiddling with the needles...


... and.. voile!

 ("Frost" 2/55)

 



Recently a third one has joined the woolly balls club :)




 ("Snowflakes" 3/55)





and currently I'm working on the 4th one! Enjoying myself a lot!!!


I can't get enough! I am knitting my nights away these days!
Counter: 52 to go!

Hand-made Monday time! Do drop and see for yourselves what other crafters have been up to! Well worth it!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed (you never fail to amaze and inspire!). I hung my knitting needles up in about 1979 along with an unfinished mohair cardigan. I can't remember what the problem was, but those knitting needles and unfinished cardi stayed in my mum's understairs cupboard for a couple of decades - where they finally ended up, I have no idea.
    Well done on your new skill and putting your own stamp on it. Love those two guys on the front cover of the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you for mastering knitting and the balls are very good, I love the Nordic style and my DH with Finnish ancestry is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are soooo good, well done on adding your personalised stamp to them. I abandoned knitting some time ago. Things just don't seem to look quite right when I knit them, so best to leave it to the experts. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look fanstastic. Well done for picking up a new skill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go you! I can see your street with these fantastic balls decorating all the trees. (Yarnbombing I think it's called)Bet you're glad that you bit the bullet and took those needles up, will be no stopping you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can manage a simple knit stitch on two needles but 4? or 5? thats just crazy. I've seen some patterns i'd love to try but they require using those needles that are joined by a string and I don't even know where to start! These look great and I love the colours you've chosen. x

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Love, leave a comment :)
Thank you for your time x x x